There has been a lot of work input towards calibration of Jantar Mantar instruments at Delhi and Jaipur, towards awareness activities and towards putting together material for an easy understanding of the usage of the Jantar Mantar instruments - from 2004 to-date. However, it has just not been put together online in an easily accessible manner. This page will be an attempt to put together all the astronomy work related to the Jantar Mantar Observatories, done by our group from Delhi.
There are other major conservation efforts, of course, both at Delhi and at Jaipur, and perhaps at Ujjain and at Varanasi. These conservation efforts relate to the masonry and basic structure of the instruments and their preservation. These are not discussed here, as we do not have the necessary expertise in these areas. We are working together with the conservations experts in Delhi and Jaipur, giving them the necessary astronomy inputs for the renovation of the instruments.
Related to the actual astronomical usage of the instruments, there has been a lot of work from our group at Delhi, and it will be attempted to put all of it together, on this page.
The Jantar Mantar Observatories
Positional Astronomy and the Jantar Mantar observatory instruments
(The pages are yet under construction)
- The first usage of the Jantar Mantar instruments at Delhi, for public astronomical observations, after the observatory fell into disuse in the 1750s here at Venus Elongation Measurements
- Awareness activities related to the Delhi Jantar Mantar from 2004-todate here at Awareness Activities for the Delhi Observatory
- Calibration of the Karka Rasi Valaya, the instrument on the back wall of the Misra Yantra here at Karka Rasi Valaya
- Calibration of the time markings of the Samrat Yantra - demonstrating its capability to read time with an accuracy of 1 second here at Samrat Yantra Calibration?
- Recovering the masonry parameters of the Misra Yantra, using a large database of time observations here at Misra Yantra masonry parameters?
- Preparing a Template for the quadrants of the Misra Yantra here at Misra Yantra Quadrant Calibration?
- Demonstrating the usage of the Jai Prakas for measurements of small celestial angles here at Lunar Occultation of Venus at the Jaiprakas?
- Material for dissemination, on the usage of the instruments of the Jantar Mantar Observatory, Jaipur here at Jantar Mantar Observatory, Jaipur?
- A report on the status of the instruments at the Jaipur observatory and the possible accuracies, using a database of astronomical observations here at Calibration of the Jaipur Jantar Mantar Observatory instruments?
- Material for dissemination, on the usage of the instruments of the Jantar Mantar Observatory, Delhi here at Jantar Mantar Observatory, Delhi?
- Continued Student Usage of the Jantar Mantar instruments for astronomical observations from 2004-todate here at Jantar Mantar and students
- Publications related to Jantar Mantar Calibration and Awareness work here at Jantar Mantar Publications